Have you ever tried using sugarless gum as an alternative cleaning tool? According to several studies that have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help protect your tooth enamel. The reason is related to an increase in saliva production, which can wash away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few tips to recollect when adding sugarless gum to your oral health care routine:
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be used after meals rather than brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can be damaged by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
– According to several studies, sugarless gum can help fight heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
– Never avoid daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning techniques such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you notice any jaw pain or if you have a known TMJ disorder.
– Sugarless gum helps rinse away chewy or sticky debris that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after meals.
Smile Big Pediatric Dentistry is here to help you with all your oral health needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. Shannon De Vera and our team at our dentist office in Humble, Texas, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 713-697-6453. We look forward to helping you smile.